Monday, April 29, 2019

Favorite Lynsey Addario Moments

The thing that really strikes me about Lynsey Addario, and her fellow journalists as well, is her determination and her foresight when it comes to success. She knew that 9/11 was one of the biggest tragedies to ever befall the United States, and yet it was also her biggest window of opportunity. My favorite thing about her though, is her desire to show her subjects as they are; even if it means going against what people want to see, or what they already think they know. In Chapter 4, on page 72 Addario says, "I became fascinated by the notion of dispelling stereotypes or misconceptions through photographs, of presenting the counterintuitive. In Pakistan I learned quickly to tuck away my own political beliefs while I worked and to act as a messenger and conduit of ideas for the people I photographed." I think this mentality is what sets Addario apart from others, and makes her work important.

No comments:

Post a Comment